- This topic is empty.
- November 4, 2020 at 8:33 am #5123Bella OldhamGuest
Do Not Say We Have Nothing
by Madeleine Thien
- Language: english
- Genres: fiction, china, canada, historical, asia, contemporary, music, novels
- ISBN: 9780393609882 (039360988X)
- Awards: Booker Prize Nominee (2016), Scotiabank Giller Prize (2016), Governor General’s Literary Awards / Prix littéraires du Gouverneur général for Traduction (de l’anglais vers le français) by Catherine Leroux (2019) and for by English Fiction (2016), Women’s Prize for Fiction Nominee (2017), Andrew Carnegie Medal Nominee for Fiction (2017)
- Release date: October 11, 2016
- Author: Madeleine Thien
- Format: hardcover, 474 pages
- Publisher: W. W. Norton Company
About The Book
“In a single year, my father left us twice. The first time, to end his marriage, and the second, when he took his own life. I was ten years old.”
Master storyteller Madeleine Thien takes us inside an extended family in China, showing us the lives of two successive generations — those who lived through Mao’s Cultural Revolution and their children, who became the students protesting in Tiananmen Square. At the center of this epic story are two young women, Marie and Ai-Ming. Through their relationship Marie strives to piece together the tale of her fractured family in present-day Vancouver, seeking answers in the fragile layers of their collective story. Her quest will unveil how Kai, her enigmatic father, a talented pianist, and Ai-Ming’s father, the shy and brilliant composer, Sparrow, along with the violin prodigy Zhuli were forced to reimagine their artistic and private selves during China’s political campaigns and how their fates reverberate through the years with lasting consequences.
With maturity and sophistication, humor and beauty, Thien has crafted a novel that is at once intimate and grandly political, rooted in the details of life inside China yet transcendent in its universality.
Hardcover ebook Do Not Say We Have Nothing by Madeleine Thien download on Book Depository. MOBI book Do Not Say We Have Nothing buy cheap Kindle. Paperback Do Not Say We Have Nothing on Android on IndieBound.