- This topic is empty.
- November 5, 2020 at 2:34 pm #5635Carolyn EsquibelGuest
by Denis Diderot, Russell Goulbourne
- Places: France
- Language: english
- Publisher: Oxford University Press, USA
- Author: Denis Diderot, Russell Goulbourne
- Genres: classics, fiction, france, religion, literature, philosophy, novels, school
- ISBN: 9780192804303 (0192804308)
- Release date: July 28, 2005
- Format: paperback, 189 pages
- Characters: Suzanne Simonin, Mother de Moni, Sister Sainte-Christine, Monsieur Manouri, Sister Ursule
About The Book
Diderot’s The Nun (La Religieuse) is the seemingly true story of a young girl forced by her parents to enter a convent and take holy orders. A novel mingling mysticism, madness, sadistic cruelty and nascent sexuality, it gives a scathing insight into the effects of forced vocations and the unnatural life of the convent. A succès de scandale at the end of the eighteenth century, it has attracted and unsettled readers ever since. For Diderot’s novel is not simply a story of a young girl with a bad habit; it is also a powerfully emblematic fable about oppression and intolerance.
This new translation includes Diderot’s all-important prefatory material, which he placed, disconcertingly, at the end of the novel, and which turns what otherwise seems like an exercise in realism into what is now regarded as a masterpiece of proto-modernist fiction.
PDF The Nun read online. Paperback book The Nun by Denis Diderot download on reader on Booktopia. MOBI ebook The Nun for iPad.
MP3 book The Nun Denis Diderot buy cheap on Powells. Hardcover The Nun read. TXT ebook The Nun Denis Diderot download Kindle on Dymocks.